Friday 24 September 2010

Melbourne #2

I've had a day of culture. I visited the Titanic artefacts exhibition at Melbourne Museum. It was really good. Quite chilling in fact, not least because of the real ice (pretending to be an iceberg). The display of passengers' rescued possessions was eerie, and how petite they must all have been. I boarded as Paul Romaine Chevré, a celebrated sculptor in Canada and Europe, who won the bronze medal for sculpture at the 1900 Paris International Exhibition. I travelled first class (naturally) and boarded at Cherbourg for Montreal. I survived the disaster. The other exhibits were also good. Australia really do celebrate the country, its nature, its history, and its people. And that takes me to the Immigration Museum which I also visited, housed in the former Customs House, celebrating the people who immigrated to Australia since the end of forced migration of convicts from Britain in the 1860s. Maybe that museum has given me ideas. Lol. Unfortunately they don't allow photographs to be taken in the museums, which is fair enough I suppose. But a few of Melbourne for you...

Entrance to Melbourne Museum:

The Royal Exhibition Building:

The restored 1903 City Baths:

Student Customer Services building at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology:

The State Library of Victoria:


The Immigration Museum in the former Customs House:

Batman Park. Not the greatest tribute to the founder of Melbourne, John Batman. FACT: did you know Melbourne was almost called Batmania in his honour? Instead all he got was a scraggy bit of grass:

Flinders Street Station. The place to arrive in Melbourne in style...


... unfortunately I arrived in less glamorous style at Southern Cross Station:

No comments:

Post a Comment